This recipe is a very simple combination of grated tender corn with sweet, sour and spicy flavours. It is mixing everything together; the combination of veggies with corn gives an amazing flavour.
It tastes best with fresh corn cobs, but frozen corn kernels may work as well.
SPICY MASHED CORN WITH VEGGIES / CORN KHICHDI
Prep time: 20 min | Cooking time: 20 min | Serves: 2
- 2 fresh whole corn
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5-6 beans, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 whole dry red chillies
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon or 1 tsp clove
- Pinch asafoetida
- Pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 4-5 green chillies
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander, to garnish
- 1 tbsp fresh corn kernels, boiled and drained to garnish
- Remove the skin of the corn cobs and grate the corn
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes or till they are translucent. Add the veggies and tomato and cook for 10 minutes on low flame. Add little water if required.
- Add chilli, mustard seeds, cinnamon or cloves and asafoetida.
- Add the turmeric powder, ginger, green chillies, lemon juice, salt and mix.
- Add grated corn and cook over a low flame, until it becomes thick. Add the garam masala and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and fresh cooked corn kernels.