This Coconut Sweet is very easy to make and only with few ingredients. I wonder why I have not attempted to make this before. This is a very famous Indian sweet and its delicious.
I have learnt this recipe from my mother and believe me, every moment that I spend in my kitchen I just think of the day when I will be cooking as excellent as her. For me, nobody in the world can beat the taste of food she cooks. This coconut sweet is made from desiccated coconut and its all in the sugar syrup consistency.
Prep time: 5 min | Cooking time: 20 min | Serves: 4
- 2 cups coconut desiccated powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add water and sugar and on medium low flame allow the sugar to dissolve and come to a boil. Stir it and allow the syrup to thicken.
- Let the sugar syrup cook and thicken till it reaches 2 string consistency. Test the syrup by using your thumb and index finger and touch the sugar syrup and as your stretch the syrup, it should form at least 2-3 threads. This takes approx 15 minutes.
- Immediately add desiccated coconut and cardamom powder and stir. Stir continuously for 1-2 minutes or till the mixture appears thick and leaves the sides of the vessel. Turn off heat.
- Immediately pour the mixture on to a greased plate or flat surface (use ghee or oil to grease) and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Allow to cool and slightly harden. Cut into desired shapes and cool completely before storing in an airtight container.