These super-healthy treats taste fabulous and are fun to make. Frozen Chocolate Banana are for the kid in all of us. It’s hard to resist the sweet flavour of a frozen banana enrobed in a thin coating of shiny dark chocolate. Eat them plain or roll them in chopped nuts, grated coconut, and granola or even candied sprinkles.
To make Frozen Chocolate Bananas you will need: ripe bananas that are still firm, some kind of stick or skewer (toothpicks) to insert into the bananas, good quality semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, and a little flavourless oil (vegetable, canola, corn, safflower or a light olive oil). Chopped nuts or grated coconut, candy sprinkles or chocolate jimmies to top them up .
These are not difficult to make. The first step is to freeze the bananas for about 15-30 minutes before dipping them into the melted chocolate. But don’t cover them with plastic wrap as we don’t want moisture to form on the bananas as they freeze. We add a little flavorless oil to the melted chocolate because it lowers the chocolate’s viscosity which prevents the chocolate from forming too thick of a coating on the banana. I like to place them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving. They taste best when eaten within two hours of their preparation.
FROZEN CHOCOLATE BANANAS
Prep time: 10 min | Cooking time: 10 min | Makes: 9 servings
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 large bananas, cut into large bite-size pieces
- Place the chocolate into a double boiler. Stir constantly, and when the chocolate is melted, stir in the vegetable oil.
- Place the coconut in a separate shallow dish and break up any clumps with your fingers. Cut the banana into bite-size pieces Spear each banana half with a cute wooden toothpick.
- Holding on to the stick, dip the banana in the chocolate and turn to coat evenly. Roll the chocolate-covered banana in the dish of coconut and transfer the banana to a plate lined with waxed paper or aluminum foil. Repeat with the rest of the bananas. Place the plate in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving and up to 2 hours.
- Serve cold, on the stick.
Note: For garnish you can use Chopped peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts or pistachios, Granola or Sprinkles or Chocolate Jimmies