Vodka gives this pasta recipe a subtle, but delicious taste you’ll love. There are flavour compounds in tomatoes that can only be released if cooked with alcohol, and this vodka sauce is a great way to experience them.
Don’t worry if you’re driving after dinner, 99% of the alcohol in this pasta with vodka sauce is cooked out during the preparation.
PASTA WITH VODKA SAUCE
Prep time: 10 min | Cooking time: 30 min | Serves: 4
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ kg dried pasta, elbow / Penne
- Put the water for the pasta on to boil before you start the sauce. Add vegetable oil and salt and add pasta to cook. You will need a big pan, enough to take the pasta and its sauce later.
- Combine vodka and red pepper; set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and add the finely chopped onion and a sprinkling of salt. Cook the onion fairly gently for about 15 minutes without letting it catch and burn, which just means giving it a stir every now and again. It should be very soft and almost beginning to caramelize. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Tip in chopped tomatoes and continue cooking over a gentle heat, simmering for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add vodka mixture. Cook over high heat until vodka is nearly evaporated. Simmer 5 minutes. Add cream, basil and Parmesan; heat through. Toss with hot pasta in a serving bowl. Makes 4 servings.