Chocoholics Beware. One spoonful of this Chocolate Mousse pudding and you will be hooked forever. It is extremely addictive, richly flavoured, yet light as air, there are few more perfect ways to end a meal. There’s one really good reason to make this – chocolate! It’s what makes the world go round.
There are chocolate mousse recipes that simply involve folding whipped cream into melted chocolate. But to make an awesome chocolate mousse with that lovely “mouth-feel”, you also need egg yolks, whipped egg whites, and whipped heavy cream.
Since there are so few ingredients in a chocolate mousse, the chocolate you pick is very important. Use a good quality dark chocolate that you enjoy eating out of hand, preferably a chocolate containing minimum 60% cacao. For the pudding you will also need a chocolate cake and chocolate curls.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE PUDDING
Prep time: 10 min | Cooking time: 20 min | Serves: 4
- 200g of dark chocolate (preferably Belgian chocolate)
- 4 tbsp of coffee
- 100g of unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp of powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- Chocolate cake
- Grated chocolate / chocolate curls
- Chocolate syrup for topping – optional
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, add the coffee and melt it. Chocolate should always be melted on very low heat, so I sit the pan in another pan with hot water at simmering point. We call that a “bain-marie” or double boiler.
- Dice the butter and let it melt in the chocolate mixture, mix well and remove from heat.
- Separate the egg yolks in one bowl and whites in the other. Add sugar to the yolks bowl and mix well till the sugar gets dissolved and its silky and smooth.
- Remove the chocolate bowl from heat and add the yolks to the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt. And add them to the chocolate mixture carefully.
- Place a small piece of chocolate cake in an individual serving container, pour the chocolate mousse and allow it to set in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, top the pudding with grated chocolate or chocolate curls and syrup.
- You can also garnish this with whipped cream or strawberries