Rock cakes, like this rock cake recipe are one of the easiest and quickest buns to make. Rock cakes are great fun for children to make as they produce perfect bite-sized cakes every time. Serve warm with a little butter as a tea time treat.
Prep time: 15 min | Cooking time: 20 min | Serves: 4
- 225 gm plain flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 115 gm unsalted butter, extra for greasing
- 110 gm castor sugar, grinded
- 85 gm mixed dry fruit
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C
- Lightly grease 2 baking trays, sift the flour and baking powder in a large baking bowl and rub in the butter using your figure tips.
- Stir in the ground castor sugar, mixed dry fruit and lemon rind.
- Beat the egg lightly with a tablespoon of milk and stir into flour mixture, Add a little more milk if necessary till it starts to bind together to form a moist but firm dough.
- Spoon small heaps of the mixture onto the prepared baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Use a palette knife to transfer the cake onto a wire rack to cool.
- Bella’s rock cakes (mylittlekilburnkitchen.wordpress.com)