I made this dish for some friends for lunch this Sunday and it turned out to be a real hit. The inspiration of this recipe comes from a sizzler party my husband and I attended last week and the tingling flavour of the stuffed mushrooms from the sizzler urged me to reproduce something similar at home.
I have had stuffed mushrooms earlier but these ones were not just stuffed, but also dipped and fried and served with chili garlic sauce. They were mouth-watering. I tried searching the web for a similar recipe but couldn’t find one. Hence I attempted of creating my own from scratch and believe me it was just awesome.
This was my first attempt and I believe I shall make it over and over again and improve further on the same. In case you guys have some suggestions to make its taste further stimulating please feel free to write.
You can use the regular button mushrooms for this recipe. Scrub the mushrooms well first, then just snap out the stems. They’ll come out easily, need not use a knife. I served this recipe with vegetable fried rice.
STUFFED FRIED MUSHROOM BALLS WITH CHILI GARLIC SAUCE
Prep time: 30 min | Cooking time: 50 min | Serves: 2
For Stuffed fried mushroom balls
- 10 button mushrooms, scrubbed clean, stems separated from the caps
- 2 small onion, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5-6 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp coriander, chopped
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 cups of cheese
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp refined flour
- 1 cup water
- ½ ltr vegetable oil for deep frying
- For the stuffing: Finely chop the mushroom stems. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chopped mushroom stems and the onions for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir well and sauté 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and add the coriander and cottage cheese and mix well.
- To ease the filling process of the mushrooms you can puree the mixture in the food processor, though I believe the textured taste is better.
- Boil the mushrooms in hot water for 2-3 minutes.
- On cooling, stuff each mushroom with the mixture and keep aside.
- Mix well cheese and chopped green chilies together. Make 10 small ball of the mixture. Take one ball in your hand and press it on your palms to make a small round shape. Place a mushroom in the centre and cover the stuffed mushroom completely with the cheese mixture. Follow the same procedure for all the 10 mushrooms. They should look like balls covered with cheese.
- Make a thick smooth paste of corn flour and refined flour with 1 cup of water. The flour paste should be slightly thick so that the cheese coating over the mushrooms need not spill out during deep frying.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Dip each mushroom ball in the flour paste and fry the balls.
- Serve the stuffed fried mushroom balls dipped in hot chili garlic sauce(recipe below).
- You can serve this dish with vegetable fried rice.
For the Chili garlic sauce
- 8 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 15 Dry Red Chilies, chopped
- 4 Tomatoes, chopped
- 3-inch piece Fresh Ginger, minced
- 3/4 cup Chopped Onions
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1½ tbsp Corn flour
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in the saucepan.
- Combine garlic, red chilies, tomatoes, ginger, onions, soy sauce and salt in the pan.
- Gently stir over medium heat, till the mixture is cooked. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a couple tablespoons of water.
- Remove the mixture from flame and let it cool.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend it well, to form a paste.
- Dissolve the corn flour in a little water.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan; add the dissolved corn starch and sugar. Mix well.
- Simmer on low heat, until the garlic sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.