The inspiration of this recipe comes from an extremely famous and simple Bulgarian Potato salad. Most of the Eastern European potato salads do not include mayonnaise, instead they use a dressing made with oil and vinegar.
If you’ve never had Bulgarian Potato Salad, you’ll be a little surprised at the bare bones nature of the dish. Trust me though; it’s the perfect side for any BBQ!
WARM POTATO SALAD
Prep time: 20 min | Cooking time: 20 min | Serves: 2
- 8 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 medium-sized red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes into uniform bite-sized pieces. Boil potatoes until you can stick a fork through pieces with little resistance. Drain and put into a large bowl.
- Or you can first pressure cook the potatoes and then peel and dice them into 1 inch pieces but make sure you do not overcook them.
- In a mixing bowl, wisk together onion, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, chilies and coriander. Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour over potatoes and mix gently. Taste and add more salt, pepper if needed. Gently mix and serve.
- German Potato Salad (foodiefox.wordpress.com)
- Potato & Lentil Salad (marriedinmarrickville.wordpress.com)
- Potato salad “The Estonian Way” (torontocooks.com)