I’ve been studying and reading a lot about nutrition, properties of the ingredients, food associations, vegetarianism, vegan-ism etc… I feel this is unending and there is so much more to learn. I believe, be it Appetizer salads, side dishes or main course salads, they should be a part of our daily diet for healthy living.
When I go into hard-core dieting mode, my supper most nights consists of a huge bowl of salads and that is when I explore and experiment with all sorts of vegetables.
I have arranged Marinated Pepper / Capsicum salad, an Appetizer salad with green peppers but it looks really beautiful when prepared using red and yellow peppers.
MARINATED PEPPER SALAD
Prep time: 15 min | Cooking time: 40 min | Serves: 2
- 2 green peppers / (1 red and 1 yellow pepper)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup black olives
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup cottage cheese, grated
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190oC. Half the peppers, removing the white seeds and pith.
- Place the peppers, cut side up in a shallow roasting tin.
- Scatter over onion, garlic, sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle over half the olive oil.
- Roast the peppers for 40 minutes until the peppers are tender and leave to cool.
- To prepare cottage cheese pearls- grate the cottage cheese, add salt and mix. Divide the grated mixture into – parts and prepare round balls with the help of your palms.
- Arrange the peppers on the serving plate and pour over any juices from the roasting tin. Scatter over the olives, cottage cheese pearls, tomato and coriander leaves.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil with balsamic vinegar and pour over the peppers.
- Cover and leave to marinate for half hour before serving.