Extremely Simple, I was in search for a quick and easy Mexican rice dish to serve with enchiladas, and other exciting Mexican dishes for some time.
This is the one. It comes together in no time which makes me excited since I can’t bring myself to spend hours on a side dish. And it tastes fantastic – delicate tomato and garlic flavor with spices of cumin.
Rather this is the fastest and the most tasteful recipe of rice I have ever come across. Its amazingly tempting. This is one variety of rice that I believe every region or country has added with its own twist and spin. Every country has its own tomato rice.
Prep time: 5 min | Cooking time: 30 min | Serves: 2
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 medium green chillies, chopped
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 tbsp cup olive oil
- 4-5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups vegetable broth / water
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add chopped onions and sauté till they become translucent.
- Add rice and fry them until they turn slightly translucent for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, salt and chilies and cook for another minute stirring constantly.
- Pour in tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Add vegetable broth / water, cover the lid and cook for 25-30 minutes till water is completely absorbed.
- Remove from flame, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Mexican Rice (kissmyingredients.com)
- Mexican Rice Bowl and Strawberries (ellenjayspaleoishlifestyle.wordpress.com)