Homemade flour tortillas recipe is very simple and if you are used to cooking chapattis at home this is no different. Just a slight change in the ingredients makes it a yummy Mexican tortilla. These tortillas can be used for the making quesadillas, burritos and various Mexican dishes.
Prep time: 25 min | Cooking time: 30 min | Serves: 2
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup melted ghee or butter
- ½ cup hot water
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder to a mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk for 30 seconds to combine dry ingredients.
- Add melted ghee or butter and mix well.
- Pour in the hot water and stir with a fork to combine. Pour mixture on a lightly floured surface and knead with your hands for 3-4 minutes to form smooth dough.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a mildly wet towel and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls, and roll between your palms to make as smooth as possible. With a rolling pin, roll out each ball of dough into a thin circle about 6-7 inches across.
- Place the tortilla in the hot tawa / pan and cook for one minute, flip and cook on the other side.
- Remove and place them in a plate to cool.