Watermelon Agua Fresca is a perfect summer drink and is simply refreshing. This drink is a terrific thirst quencher. Making Aqua Fresca is infusing water into fresh fruits without turning it into a smoothie or slush.
Specially in summers when there is an excessive lack of appetite for solid food and one feels like gulping down gallons of chilled liquids and water, aqua Fresca’s are the best things you can go for. Aguas” in Spanish means “water” and “Frescas” meaning “Fresh”. Its a famous drink often sold by street vendors there. A very simple recipe and a pitcher of this is a must for any party during the summer season.
While preparing this drink I generally add more watermelon and less water as I like it that way. You can do a lot of variations with the amount of lemon, mint and ginger used to match your taste buds. Adding ginger to watermelon gives a very interesting variation to the cooler.
Consumption of watermelon is believed to increase the immune resistance given that it is rich in antioxidants. It is also believed that eating watermelon helps in improving ones eyesight.
WATERMELON GINGER AQUA FRESCA
Prep time: 5 min | Cooking time: 5 min | Serves: 2 | Cusine: Mexican
- 2 cups of watermelon rind removed, seeded and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 lime juice – not more than 1 tbsp
- ½ inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- Lime slices or mint leaves for garnish
- Cut the watermelon flesh from the rind. In a blender, process the watermelon pieces with water, sugar, lime juice and ginger until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a strainer forcing through most of the pulp.
- Chill for around 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with lime slice or mint leaves.
- If you donot have enough time for refrigeration you can use 1 cup of cold water and 1 cup ice to serve it chilled.